March this year turned into a pretty emotional and busy month for us. My dad's good friend Denis Asprey passed away after a long battle with cancer. He was affectionately known as Denis the Menace to us kids growing up. My dad grew up with 5 sisters so his friends were always a big part of our lives. I had the opportunity to spend an amazing day with Denis back in October 2009 and will forever look back fondly on that day. My husband only needed that one day with Denis to have a lasting impact on his life from this exceptional man. He will be forever missed.
Keith, Dad and Denis in their buckskins at a Mountain Man Rendezvous.
My dad, Keith Abraham and Denis Asprey on Keith's wedding day. 1992.
Keith, Barney Zauss, Dad and Denis. The "uncles." 2010.Ocean Beach, California. October 2009.
At the end of January the Gap store I was a manager at for almost 3 years closed. I had just started a new job at World Market when we got the news about Denis and headed to San Diego for the funeral. Adam had been feeling sick for a few weeks before we went to San Diego for Denis' funeral and proceeded to worsen while there. He was able to attend the funeral services and attend a special church meeting to hear Elder L. Tom Perry talk (he later said that he felt as if the talk was meant just for him) but then took a turn for the worst. Luckily we had his amazing mother who even though she was ill herself was there to help with everything and her doctor to help him along the way. Our 3 day trip to San Diego turned into 10 days with me caring for a sick hubby and mother-in-law. On a fun side note, Adam did get a blessing from Ryon Bingham who plays for the chargers and just happens to be in Brooke's ward.
Adam was diagnosed with Pneumonia but none of the antibiotics helped and after being away from work so long much to the doctors dismay, Adam insisted we head home because he had to get back to work. However, the altitude and who knows what else worsened Adam's condition. I was at work when I got the call that Adam was in the ER because he was having breathing issues due to a lack of oxygen. He was then transferred to the CVICU where he had multiple pulmonologists trying to figure out what was wrong him. After 4 days in the hospital it was determined that he had Eosinophilic pneumonia. They were unable to determine what the cause was so for precautionary measures he had to stop working at Petco and we had to find a new home for our bird. Adam is now doing great and working at a new job, Best Buy which lets him work with more of his favorite things, electronics.
Easter Sunday in the CVICU.
We missed out on the festivities at my mom's but he still got an Easter basket with lots of hospital approved goodies.
Keeping a brave face.
During one of his breathing treatments.
Last day at the hospital. Such a handsome man.During our prolonged stay in San Diego we had our 6 year wedding anniversary. It's hard to believe it's been that long. We weren't able to celebrate together because the poor guy was just too sick to move. I did bring him some gorgeous hydrangeas and a card and he has since made up for missing out on that day! We've had our ups and downs but I love him more and more everyday. His warm heart and compassion for all living things and people continually impresses me. He is such a hard worker and just wants everyone around him to be happy and taken care of. He is my calm and my rock. I am so lucky to have married my best friend and look forward to the day when we are finally sealed together for all time and eternity.
From Posies in Scripps Ranch. I've been getting flowers there since highschool. Dance boutanieres and corsages. Ahh memories.
The best Hawaiian bbq EVER. I used to eat here almost everyday when I lived in Oceanside.
My delicious meal. I had a one-legged seagull desperately standing by waiting for me to share.Adam and I were and are lucky enough to have family here in Flagstaff, our siblings Chantelle and Trevor. They were both so great during everything and we don't know what we would do without them here. We love that we have been able to spend more time with them while they both attend NAU and grow into amazing adults. Also, the members of the various wards here and our own Bishop were so wonderful about checking in on us and visiting in the hospital. The LDS church has been amazing in knowing when to step in for not only large disasters but for the little things in their members lives as well. We also have great friends that were here to help us out with pets and bring us delicious baked goods. We are truly blessed in our lives with our wonderful friends and families!
*Thanks to everyone for the first 4 pictures of Denis that I "borrowed!"
1 comment:
Oh, wow. I had no idea you were going through so much. So sorry for your loss and I'm glad Adam made it through the pneumonia. How scary.
Post a Comment